SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#139917 - 12/09/05 12:03 PM Re: Arrangers are no longer "home" kit
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
If arranger keyboards did not exist i would not have taken an interest in keyboard playing. I would choose a pax pro any day over even the triton extreme and the same with tyros2/motif. I love arrangers...

#139918 - 12/09/05 12:51 PM Re: Arrangers are no longer "home" kit
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
???????????????

#139919 - 12/09/05 01:09 PM Re: Arrangers are no longer "home" kit
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Chas, here is one...I got rid of my Triton studio 76, and Fantom X6......and kept my G1000...Give me the flexibility of an arranger anyday...An arranger[top models] can replace any workstation synth, but a workststion synth can't replace a top of the line arranger keyboard..

If "PROS" can't accept the arranger as a professional instrument, it is their loss..

In the early days we used a board for left hand bass, another for synth sounds, and yet another for piano...then we used a drum machine...This was all good, but now we can do the same with our arranger...even without the back up loops....as you say...Now what "Pro" can't relate to that...
It is just a case of closed minded...nothing to do with professionalism...

I'm done venting!!!

#139920 - 12/09/05 01:24 PM Re: Arrangers are no longer "home" kit
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

It is just a case of closed minded...nothing to do with professionalism...

I'm done venting!!!

Fran, that very well may be, but the reality is still pretty much what I stated. BTW, how DO you replace all those boards and drum machines without using the "playback loops"?

chas

#139921 - 12/09/05 01:38 PM Re: Arrangers are no longer "home" kit
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
No different then we did in the 70's and 80's..

Split your keyboard[helps to have 76 keys]..play bass on the left side of the split...play piano on the right side of split[I can add another split on the G1000, on the right hand side]..
You also add another tone for color[organ , guitar, brass etc] to the right hand side of the split,,,this is controlled by an ev5 expression pedal when you need the tone to be added to the mix..

The only thing that is looped[as the drum machine], are the drums.

Chas , why are you making me type all this? You already know what I am talking about..

#139922 - 12/09/05 02:15 PM Re: Arrangers are no longer "home" kit
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

Chas , why are you making me type all this? You already know what I am talking about..

Yeah, but it's more fun pulling your chain .

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 12-09-2005).]

#139923 - 12/09/05 02:47 PM Re: Arrangers are no longer "home" kit
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I thought my local instrument dealer was gonna fall off his chair when I suggested that I was considering replacing my Motif ES with a Tyros 2, but when I explained to him what my total setup is, and that I wanted an all in one rig for live OMB play, he understood and agreed that it's probably a good move.

Workstations are fine "all in oners", but there isn't a single sound or feature that I can't replicate and do better with what's in my laptop than I can in my Motif, with the possible exception of the Reed and Wind instrument sounds of the VL150 plug in, which is actually a piece of add on equipment. In any event, my old Windows ME computer houses my SYXG-100 plug in, and the included VL soft module is an exact match in sounds to the VL150 plug in.

FL Studio is many more times powerful and much more flexible than the "Groove Factory" and step sequencer in the ES. Sampling is at best a hassle in the ES, and simple yet better in even a few freeware apps I've tried. The AN150 analog modeling board that I added to the ES has nice analog sounds, but anything more than very basic editing ( ADSR ) requires a computer anyway, and I have at least a dozen softsynths that I like better.

It's not about software vs hardware. Someone who uses specialty hardware modules would probably say the same things. The point for me is that, workstations are the equivalent of jacks of all trades, but masters of none. They'll work fine for today's loop and sample orientated music, but I wonder how many pure keyboardists use them as their main axe.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 12-09-2005).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online